Soccer Scene

Change:  Move to:
31.03.2006 at 19:00 Tolka Park Attendance:
Rep of Ireland 0 - 3 Serbia & Montenegro
Referee: Peter Rasmussen (DEN) EC Elite Round / TS/PROG-match

None. Stefan Jovetić 2 Mins;
Veljko Vuković 71 mins,
Veljko Vuković 72 mins,
Opening squads
Shane Redmond
Lorcan Fitzgerald
Gavin Donoghue
Gary Breen
Michael Spillane
Corie Treacy
Graham Carey
Donal Mc Dermott
Harry Arter
Cillian Sheridan
Terry Dixon
Marko Knežević
Dušan Brković
Goran Četnik
Saša Blagojević
Miloš Nikolić
Nikola Gulan
Zarija Peličić
Stefan Jovetić
Marko Nikolić
Igor Miladinović
Veljko Vuković
Paul Skinner
Andrew Callaghan
Shane Lowry
Paul Cahillane
Michael Daly
Tom Lyons
Christy Fagan
Budimir Janošević
Nenad Adamović
Slavko Lukić
Slavko Perović
Darko Karadžić
Vlado Peličić
Paul Cahillane -> Cillian Sheridan (56)
Zarija Peličić (out)
Slavko Perović (in) 69 mins,
Yellow cards
Graham Carey (46)
Harry Arter (53)
Corie Treacy (74)
Saša Blagojević 10 mins,
Igor Miladinović 34 mins,
Miloš Nikolić 65 mins,
Red cards
Gary Breen (31)
Harry Arter (53)
Graham Carey (77)
Other statistics
0 Shots 0
0 Shots on goal 0
0 Offsides 0
0 Corner kicks 0
0 Free kicks 0
0 Penalties 0
Match report
Serbia and Montenegro earned a place at the UEFA European Under-17 Championship finals in Luxembourg after a comprehensive victory against a Republic of Ireland team eventually reduced to eight men.

Early goal
Pool hosts Ireland topped Elite round Group 6 on goal difference from Israel at kick-off, and as Avraham Bahar's side lost 3-1 to eliminated Romania tonight a point would have been enough for Sean McCaffrey’s side. But in front of a crowd of nearly 3,000 at Tolka Park, they never recovered from conceding a second-minute goal to Stefan Jovetic.

Duo dismissed
Despite pushing hard, Ireland were having few chances, and their hopes began to fade when Garry Breen was sent off just after the half-hour for a professional foul on Goran Cetnik. Early in the second half Irish substitute Paul Cahillane forced Marko Kneževic to save, but Ireland were down to nine men in the 53rd minute when Harry Arter received a second booking for kicking the ball away after play had been stopped.

Victory sealed
The Irish were still pushing forward, but inevitably holes appeared at the back, and with nine minutes to go they were exploited twice in 60 seconds, as Velijko Vukovic first shot in from distance and then set up Jovetic for his second of the night. A Graham Carey foul earned him Ireland's third red card near the end.

Fine recovery
It was a fine recovery from Serbia and Montenegro, whose Elite round campaign on Monday had opened with a last-gasp defeat by Israel, and they now enter Thursday's draw and then the finals from 3-14 May. McCaffrey said: "When you lose one man against a quality team, you're in bother but to lose to two and then three is very hard to deal with."
Powered by tplSoccerStats © 2003 TPL Design