Soccer Scene

Change:  Move to:
01.03.2006 at 18:00 La Manga Attendance: 85
Norway 0 - 1 Rep of Ireland Under 19
Referee: Willie Collum (Scotland) Tournament / T/S-match

None Jon P Kelly (69)
Opening squads
Andrea Lie,
Ole H Hansen,
David Driscoll
Oddbjorn Lie,
John A Rise,
Kim Bernsten,
Steinar Stromnes,
Magnus Mikkelsen,
Morten Haestad,
Jesper Mathisen
Rene Gilmartin
Sean Kelly
Martin Reilly
Darren O'Dea
Edward Nolan
Jonathan Hayes
Jon P Kelly
James Chambers
Billy Dennehy
Shane Long
Anthony Stokes
Micaheal Jamtfall,
Terje Reinertsen
Jens Skogmo,
Thomas Braathen,
Tarik Elyounoussi,
Rune Ertsas,
Ole J Halvorsen,
Magnus Levken
Stephen Henderson
Conor Powell
Mark Mukendi
Kieran Murphi
Stephen Gleeson
Ross Gaynor
James O'Brien
None James O'Brien -> Anthony Stokes (71)
Yellow cards
None None.
Red cards
None None.
Other statistics
0 Shots 0
0 Shots on goal 0
0 Offsides 0
0 Corner kicks 0
0 Free kicks 0
0 Penalties 0
Match report
Ireland went into this game needing a win. Their first game against Scotland ended up all square and with Scotland drawing with Finland earlier in the day Ireland could go top of the group with three points. Ireland were boosted with the arrival of Anthony Stokes, Sean Kelly, Eddie Nolan and James Chambers bringing their squad up to the required numbers.

With the arrival of Sean Mc Caffrey fresh after his Merit Award and having been with the Under 17 squad in the Algarve the team was complete. The game kicked off at 6 pm last night (5pm Irish Time) in what were cool conditions in La Manga 10 degrees. Ireland were first to attack with Shane Long being the first to test Norway and although he made good headway down the wing his cross was poor and Norway cleared the danger.

The Scottish referee showed he was going to take no messing as he booked Norway’s number 9 Morten Haestad for diving in the box in the ninth minute. With Jockser Kelly in great forming midfield the game was more open than our encounter with Scotland and the ball moved from end to end.

Renee Gilmartin in his first game for Ireland was assured in everything he did. And with a back four of Kelly, O’Dea, Nolan and Reilly on top of their game Ireland began to get the upper hand. After 13 minutes Martin Reilly made a great run down the left wing and pulled the ball back for the inrushing JP Kelly to shoot narrowly wide. Norway forced their way up the other end and free kick from 25 yards out caused a few flutters in the Irish defence but was eventually cleared by Sean Kelly – who was having a fine game at right full.

Billy Dennehy was the next to cause the Norwegians problems as he raced down the wing and a cross was unfortunately over hit with Shane Long making a late run into the box. Ireland breathed a sigh of relief after 30 minutes as a Norwegian corner bobbled about in the box with the ball seemingly sitting waiting on a Norwegian forward before Darren O’Dea took control of the situation and cleared.

Ireland had a great chance for the opening gal after 38 minutes when Gilmartin cleared a long clearance well into the Norwegian half and with Stokes and Long 2against 1 it looked a great opportunity. With both Irish players leaving the ball for each other John A rise cleared comfortably for Norway. On the stroke of half time Stokes dummied the centre half very cleverly about 35 yards and his shot sent the Norwegian keeper Lie scrambling across his goal but the shot went narrowly wide.

Half Time 0-0

Norway brought on three substitutes at half time. The substitutions certainly paid dividends as Norway began in good fashion. O’Dea and Nolan were called into action on numerous occasions and although under pressure Gilmartin was not having a lot to do. Having said that Ireland can be grateful to the big man as he brought off a magnificent one handed save from Haestad from six yards to deflect the ball out for a corner.

reland were unlucky when a cross field ball from Long fell invitingly to Jockser whose little chip nearly caught out Lie in goal. Ireland eventually went ahead in the 69th minute. The goal came from Shane Long who pressurised Driscoll the Norwegian left full who was guiding the ball back over the end line. However Long took the ball off his toe and from a very difficult angle hit a great shot which the keeper got his hand to and deflected the ball out the far side of the post. The clearance was picked up by Johnny Hayes and fed quickly to Jockser who made no mistake to put Ireland ahead.

After 71 minutes Stokes was replaced by James O’Brien. This change seemed to reinvigorate the attack and O’Brien and Long began to create more chances. Ireland got a scare after 75 minutes when Norway had the ball in the back of the net after a good free kick but the goal was disallowed for offside.

Shane Long whose strength and pace were beginning to tell had a header on target but the keeper just got his hand to it and tipped it over for a corner. For the last five minutes Norway threw everything at the Irish and the Irish goal lead a charmed life as first Nolan got in a great tackle when it looked all over a goal and Reilly cleared a header off the line with Gilmartin beaten. The referee played 3 minutes extra time but the Irish defence stood tall for an exciting win.

Ireland: Gilmartin, Kelly, O’Dea, Nolan, Reilly, Hayes, Kelly, Chambers, Dennehy, Long Stokes. Subs: O’Brien for Stokes (71)
Powered by tplSoccerStats © 2003 TPL Design