Soccer Scene

Change:  Move to:
16.10.2005 at 00:00 Turners Cross Attendance:
Rep of Ireland Under 19 2 - 1 N Ireland
Referee: Sergiy Berezka UKR European Qualifier-match

Billy Clarke (9)
Anthony Stokes (35)
Fordyce 28mins,
Opening squads
Darren Randolph
Darren Stapleton
Darren O'Dea
Edward Nolan
Darron Gibson
Mark Keane
Jonathan Hayes
Jon P Kelly
Ian Morris
Billy Clarke
Anthony Stokes
O Connor;
Stephen Henderson
Sean Kelly
Simon Madden
Mark Mukendi
James Chambers
Diarmuid O Carroll
James O'Brien
Tevor Carson,
Peter Spratt,
Paul Mc Crink,
Andrew Rosbotham,
Robert Garrett,
Brendan Mc Menamin,
Scott Mc Cormack
Simon Madden -> Mark Keane (13)
James O'Brien -> Jonathan Hayes (80)
Diarmuid O Carroll -> Anthony Stokes (86)
Rosbotham for Armstrong 46; McCrink for O Connor 55;
Spratt for McCabe 61.
Yellow cards
None. Michael O Connor 12 mins,
David Armstrong 42 mins,
Ryan catney 63 mins,
Red cards
None. None
Match report
Republic of Ireland 2(Clarke 9, Stokes 33, N Ireland 1(Fordyce 27)

The Republic of Ireland ensured they opened their UEFA U19 Championship on a successful note with a superb opening half performance against Northern Ireland at Turnerís Cross.

The Republic led 2-1 at half-time and but for a superb save by Northern goalkeeper John Tuffey from a penalty they would surely have had the points secure by the break.

They led after just nine minutes when the excellent Ian Morris picked out Billy Clarke with a 30 yards pass that set the striker up inside the penalty area.

Clarke spun away from a tackle and then hit a left foot shot that beat Tuffey from 12 yards.

A serious injury to full-back Mark Keane in the 12th minute disrupted the Republicís team-work for a time. He was stretchered off with a suspected broken leg and will obviously their matches against Moldova, on Tuesday, and Italy on Thursday.

Northern Ireland were level after 27 minutes when Daryl Fordyce slipped through on the blind-side of the Republicís defence to head a neat goal from Tony Kaneís deep cross but the Republic came storming back.

They were driven on by the excellent form of the talented Ian Morris and Darren Gibson in central midfield and their speedy strikers kept the Northís defence at full-stretch

The second goal came after 33 minutes and again Morris had a part to play. His clever free from the left wing found Anthony Stokes bravely forcing his way to the near upright to head the ball in.

Jonathan Hayes raced into the penalty area to lure David Armstrong into the tackle that resulted in a penalty. Tuffey reacted brilliantly to push Hayesí penalty against an upright and Stoke blew the rebound wildly over, but in the end two goals was enough to do it for the Republic.


Republic of Ireland: Randolph (Charlton); Keane (Bohemians), Nolan (Blackburn Rovers), O Dea (Celtic), Stapleton (Reading); Kelly (Bohemians), Gibson (Manchester Utd), Morris (Leeds Utd), Hayes (Reading); Stokes (Arsenal), Clarke (Ipswich Town). Subs: Madden (Leeds Utd) for Keane 12; O Brien (Celtic) for Hayes 80; O Carroll (Celtic) for Stokes 86.

Northern Ireland: Tuffey (Coventry City); Kane (Blackburn Rovers), Armstrong (Hearts), McArdle (Sheffield Wednesday), McCabe (Ballymena Utd); Doherty (Hearts), Turner (Derby County), Catney (Reading), O Connor (Crewe Alexandra); Fordyce (Portsmouth), Lafferty (Burnley).

Subs; Rosbotham (Ballymena) for Armstrong 46; McCrink (Coventry City) for O Connor 55; Spratt (Coleraine) for McCabe 61.

Referee: Mr. S. Berezka (Ukraine).
Powered by tplSoccerStats © 2003 TPL Design