Soccer Scene

Change:  Move to:
05.08.2014 at 16:30 Dorog Hungary Attendance:
Hungary 1 - 0 Rep of Ireland
Referee: Tournament-match

Krist'f Herjeczki 53 mins None.
Opening squads
Ross Treacy
Trevor Clarke
Robin Walsh
Conor Masterson
Robbie Mc Court
JJ Lunney
Conor Levingston
Zachary Elbouzedi
Brandon Payne
Avis Ganyliu
Josh Barrett
Darragh Leahy
Jake Doyle Hayes
Conor Davis
Jean Yves Poame
None Jake Doyle Hayes -> Conor Levingston (55)
Jean Yves Poame -> Avis Ganyliu (60)
Conor Davis -> Josh Barrett (65)
Darragh Leahy -> Zachary Elbouzedi (70)
Yellow cards
None None.
Red cards
None None.
Other statistics
0 Shots 0
0 Shots on goal 0
0 Offsides 0
0 Corner kicks 0
0 Free kicks 0
0 Penalties 0
Match report | Preview
Hungary 1-0 Republic of Ireland

THE Republic of Ireland U17 side suffered an unfortunate 1-0 loss to hosts Hungary in Dorgo today in the opening game of a four team tournament.

Tom Mohan's side produced an excellent display and created a number of chances but failed to find the Hungarian net and were caught on the break for the only goal in the 53rd minute.

Despite the heat Ireland played with a high tempo and pressed Hungary to great effect. Ireland started much the brighter with some decent early chances and Josh Barrett was unfortunate to see an effort strike an upright.

In the eighth minute Jake Doyle-Hayes had an effort cleared off the line by a Hungarian defender after clever creative play by Brandon Payne.

Just over a minute later Zachary Elbouzedi was denied by home keeper Patrik Demj'n after his shot from outside the area was pushed wide.

In the 11th minute Avis Ganiyu got on the end of an Irish corner but his effort looped just over the bar.

It was the 15th minute before Hungary forced a save from Irish keeper Ross Treacy but it should have been the visitors that took the lead when they hit an upright once more just before the break.

Hungary nicked a surprise lead in the 53rd minute when they broke and a long range effort from Krist'f Herjeczki flew into the bottom corner of the goal.

Ireland battled hard high up the pitch to get the equaliser but some good defending from Hungary prevented Ire from breaking through.

After a number of half-chances Trevor Clarke came closest to levelling in injury-time but his shot grazed the post and equaliser was to come.

"It was a match that we could have won. It was a very good performance. We dominated for long periods, created chances, but were not clinical enough," said Mohan.

"In games like this you can be left to rue your missed chances and that was the case when Hungary broke and scored. We continued to dominate but we had chances just off target and cleared off the line.

"Brandon Payne had a decent effort just over the bar, Josh Barrett had a good chance saved and Darragh Leahy at the end hit a defender on the back with a close range effort.

"The lads will get ready for Malta on Thursday. This tournament gives us a great chance to see the players and everybody will play. It was especially pleasing to see Brandon Payne back after 12 months out with a leg injury."

HUNGARY: Demj'n, D T'th, B T'th, Szalai, Gerg'nyi (Szalai 69), Vogyicska, Szab' (Sz?ke 34), Bayer (Bodrogi 74) - Drag'ner (T'm'sv'ri 51), B'r', Herjeczki (Kerekes 68)

REPUBLIC OF IRELAND: Ross Treacy, Robin Walsh, Trevor Clarke, Robert McCourt, Conor Masterson, Jonathan Lunney, Zachary Elbouzadi (Darragh Leahy 70), Josh Barrett (Conor Davis 65), Brandon Payne, Avis Ganiyu (Jean Yves Poame 60), Conor Levingston (Jake Doyle-Hayes 55).


Tuesday, August 5
U17 Invitational Tournament
Hungary 1-0 Republic of Ireland, Dorog

Thursday, August 7
U17 Invitational Tournament
Republic of Ireland v Malta, Telki (4.30pm)

Saturday, August 9
U17 Invitational Tournament
Republic of Ireland v Serbia, Telki (2.30pm)
Powered by tplSoccerStats © 2003 TPL Design