Soccer Scene

Change:  Move to:
24.10.2011 at 15:00 Dinamo, Almaty (KAZ) Attendance:
Czech Rep 1 - 0 Rep of Ireland
Referee: Damir Batinić European Qualifier-match

Daniel Holzer 63 mins None.
Opening squads
Jehlička (GK)
Stefan Simič
Lukáš Hůlka
Jan Prosek
Daniel Holzer
Dominik Špavelko
Dominik Mašek
Lukáš Kurušta
Kamil Půda
Jan Vondra
Martin Matoušek
Shane Fagan
Shaun Coyne
Ryan O Reilly
Thomas Mulroney
Kyle Mc Fadden
Jack Grealish
Dylan Hayes
Sean Long
Johnathan Leddy
Gary O Neill
Sam Byrne
Krásný (GK)
Lukáš Maršálek
Ondřej Ševčík
Tomáš Chorý
Přemysl Hanák
Jakub Matějka
Karel Neumann
Stephen Morris
Daniel O Reilly
Conor Whittle
Dylan Mc Glade
Ryan Mc Connell
Conor Wilkinson
Kevin O Connor
Jakub Matějka (in) - Kamil Půda (out) 41 mins
Tomáš Chorý (in) - Martin Matoušek (out) 47 mins,
Karel Neumann (in) - Lukáš Kurušta (out)72 mins
Dylan Mc Glade -> Dylan Hayes (57)
Conor Wilkinson -> Gary O Neill (67)
Kevin O Connor -> Johnathan Leddy (75)
Yellow cards
None None.
Red cards
None None.
Other statistics
0 Shots 0
0 Shots on goal 0
0 Offsides 0
0 Corner kicks 0
0 Free kicks 0
0 Penalties 0
Match report

An eventful final pair of games in the Under-17 UEFA Championship qualifying first phase Group 4 ended with Ireland securing a top-two finish on goal difference.

A win for the Czech Republic today in Almaty confirmed their position as group winners with a maximum 9 points, with Kazakhstan joining Ireland on four points following their 8-0 victory against Liechtenstein.

The combination of results left Ireland with a goal difference of +7 from their three games, one better than the mini-group hosts.

Ireland will proceed along with Czech Republic as the two qualifiers into the elite stage draw to be held in Nyon on November 29.

John Morlings Ireland side bossed possession in the opening half to the extent there was a sense of disappointment a lead had not been taken by the break.

Ryan O Reilly's aerial ability troubled the Czechs and his header from a Jonathan Leddy corner on 27 minutes sailed over.

It was then the turn of Irelands scorer in the draw against Kazakhstan, Jack Grealish, to go close when he ended a mazy run by drilling wide.

However, Ireland's best chance fell to Gary O Neill three minutes before the break but he volley was foiled by a goal-line clearance.

Leddys free-kick forced goalkeeper Radim Jehlička to dive full-stretch ten minutes after the break but the silky Czechs soon stepped up the tempo.

The breakthrough goal came on 63 minutes when a corner from Lukáš Kurušta was only cleared to the edge of the penalty area where the awaiting Daniel Holzer beat Shane Fagan in the Irish goal with a low drive.

Aware that an equaliser might be required to safeguard Irelands passage into the next round, Morling introduced attackers Conor Wilkinson and Kevin O Connor from the bench for the final 15 minutes.

It would not be required in the end although Fagan helped Ireland avoid conceding a second goal in the closing moments by saving from match-winner Holzer.

REPUBLIC OF IRELAND: S. Fagan (Coventry City); S. Long (Cherry Orchard), K. McFadden (Norwich City), R. O Reilly (Stoke City), S. Coyne (Cherry Orchard); T. Mulroney (Crumlin United), J. Leddy (Ipswich Town), G. O Neill (Wolves), D. Hayes (Derby County); S. Byrne (Manchester United), J. Grealish (Aston Villa).

Substitutions: D. McGlade (Middlesboro) for Hayes (57 mins), C. Wilkinson (Millwall) for O Neill (67 mins), K. O Connor (St. Patricks Athletic) for Leddy (75 mins).
Powered by tplSoccerStats © 2003 TPL Design