Soccer Scene

Change:  Move to:
11.02.2010 at 19:45 Carlisle Grounds, Bray Attendance:
Rep of Ireland 1 - 0 Hungary
Referee: R. Rogers (Dublin) Friendly / t/s-match

Daniel Purdy (pen.) (54)
Opening squads
Jack Bonham
Richard Bryan
Michael Barker
Neil Yadolahi
Kevin Knight
Callum Webb
Shane Byrne
Carl Mc Hugh
Graham Burke
Connor Smith
George Smith
Alan Smith
Sean Mc Dermott
Ben Glasgow
Sean Murray
Frankie Sutherland
Darragh Keena
Daniel Purdy
David Murphy
Alan Smith -> Jack Bonham (46)
Daniel Purdy -> Graham Burke (46)
David Murphy -> Connor Smith (46)
Frankie Sutherland -> Callum Webb (52)
Sean Murray -> George Smith (60)
Darragh Keena -> Kevin Knight (69)
Sean Mc Dermott -> Alan Smith (76)
Yellow cards
None. None
Red cards
None. None
Other statistics
0 Shots 0
0 Shots on goal 0
0 Offsides 0
0 Corner kicks 0
0 Free kicks 0
0 Penalties 0
Match report
Under-17 Friendly International

Republic of Ireland 1 Hungary 0

The Republic of Ireland Under-17s tonight (Thursday) wrapped up their second victory over Hungary in this week's double-header friendly at the Carlisle Grounds courtesy of Daniel Purdy's second half penalty.

Following their 2-0 win on Tuesday at Tolka Park, Ireland gave another assured display and their second half dominance was reflected in Purdy's winner on 54 minutes.

Sean McCaffrey's line-up showed six changes to the side which defeated Hungary 2-0 on Tuesday, with Football's Next Star finalists Conor Smith coming in for his first international start.

Chances were scarce in the opening stages and the game had to be held up for over five minutes when Hungary midfielder Norbert Bodo suffered a broken leg in a challenge.

On 23 minutes, Ireland fashioned their first noteworthy opening when George Smith latched onto a pass by Callum Webb and raided into the box but blasted over from ten yards.

Kevin Knight, on the opposite flank, led a breakaway attack five minutes later which had the visitors on the back foot yet his crossfield pass was heavy and the danger was averted.

As Hungary upped a gear, Ireland defender Michael Barker had to be alert on the half hour to deny captain Patrik Vass a shot on goal as the winger broke loose inside the box.

But it was Ireland who finished the half stronger, Shane Byrne's header requiring a fingertip save by David Dombo in stoppage time and Richard Bryan nodding over from the rebound.

The Hungarians linked their passes better following the turnaround and goalkeeper Alan Smith, an interval substitute, was worked by shots in quick succession from Laszlo Erdelyi and Krisztian Adorjan.

Having survived those scares, Ireland rallied and won a penalty on 54 minutes. Balint Vecsei was late in tackling substitute Frankie Sutherland, promoting Referee Rob Rogers to immediately point to the spot.

Daniel Purdy stepped up and rifled his spot-kick to the right, sending Dombo the wrong way.

REPUBLIC OF IRELAND: Jack Bonham (Watford); Michael Barker (Belvedere), Richard Bryan (Aston Villa), Neil Yadolahi (Burnley), Carl McHugh (Reading); George Smith (Southend United), Shane Byrne (Leicester City), Callum Webb (Arsenal), Kevin Knight (Leicester City); Conor Smith (Watford), Graham Burke (Belvedere)

Substitutions: Alan Smith (Crumlin United) for Bonham, Daniel Purdy (West Ham United) for Burke, David Murphy (Reading) for C. Smith, Ben Glasgow (Arsenal) for Yadolahi (all h/t), Frankie Sutherland (QPR) for Webb (52 mins), Sean Murray (Watford) for G. Smith (60 mins), Darragh Keena (Shelbourne) for Knight (69 mins), Sean McDermott for A. Smith (76 mins)

HUNGARY: Dombo; Foldes, Toth, Tar, Bodo; Serfozo, Papp, Adorjan, Vecsei; Vass, Banka.

REFEREE: R. Rogers (Dublin).
Powered by tplSoccerStats © 2003 TPL Design