Soccer Scene

Change:  Move to:
08.10.2020 at 15:00 Attendance:
Slovakia 0 - 0
(4 - 2 PEN.)
Republic of Ireland
Referee: Clément Turpin (FRA) European Cup Play off / PROG/PROG(F)-match

None None.
Opening squads
Rodák (GK);
Vavro (Gyömber, 112),
Kucka (Greguš, 85),
Hamšík (C);
Rusnák (Mak, 85)
Duda (Boženík, 107),
Mihalík (Haraslín, 73).
Darren Randolph
Matt Doherty
Shane Duffy
John Egan
Enda Stevens
Jeff Hendrick
James Mc Carthy
Conor Hourihane
Callum Robinson
David Mc Goldrick
James Mc Clean
Martin Kuciak (G)
Dominik Greif (G)
Norbert Gyömber
Ján Greguš
Lukáš Haraslín
Ivan Schranz
Lukáš Pauschek
Róbert Mak
Matúš Bero
Martin Koscelník
Mark Travers
Caoimhin Kelleher
Cyrus Christie
Derrick Williams
Callum O Dowda
Jack Byrne
Alan Browne
Robert Brady
Jayson Molumby
Shane Long
Adam Idah
Aaron Connolly
Lukáš Haraslín (in) - Jaroslav Mihalík (out) 73 mins,
Ján Greguš (in) - Juraj Kucka (out) 86 mins
Róbert (in) - Ondrej Duda (out) 107 mins
Norbert Gyömber (in) - Denis Vavro (out) 112 mins
Róbert Mak (in) - Albert Rusnák (out) 86 mins
Róbert (in) - Ondrej Duda (out) 107 mins,
Norbert Gyömber (in) - Denis Vavro (out) 112 mins
Robert Brady -> James Mc Clean (60)
Alan Browne -> James Mc Carthy (61)
Callum O Dowda -> Callum Robinson (99)
Shane Long -> David Mc Goldrick (112)
Yellow cards
Ondrej Duda 101 mins
Marek Hamšík 114 mins
Conor Hourihane (20)
James Mc Clean (48)
Shane Duffy (69)
Red cards
None None.
Other statistics
0 Shots 0
0 Shots on goal 0
0 Offsides 0
0 Corner kicks 0
0 Free kicks 0
0 Penalties 0
Match report | Preview
Marek Rodák was the hero for the hosts in Bratislava saving from Alan Browne's spot kick. With Ireland needing to score to make it 4-3 in the shootout Matt Doherty saw his penalty strike the crossbar to send Slovakia through.

It was a cruel result for Stephen Kenny’s side who were full of attacking enterprise and high tempo but were unable to get the goal their display deserved.

With so much riding on the game, the opening 20 minutes was as an edgy affair. Ireland’s patient play kept the hosts penned in their own half for a sustained period but found they found it tough to breakdown the Slovakian defensive line.

The first real clear-cut chance came in the 36th minute. A cross field ball from Doherty fell to Conor Hourihane in the area. The Aston Villa man played it to James McClean to fire towards goal and as it looked to be heading towards Callum Robinson for a tap-in, Martin Valjent got it clear to keep Ireland at bay.

Slovakia had a great chance to take the lead on the stroke of half-time. The hosts counter-attacked from an Ireland corner and while the Irish defence were able to slow the breakaway for a moment, Ondrej Duda curled an effort to the far corner forcing a fine save from Darren Randolph to tip around the post. From the resulting corner Duda found room for an overhead but it was off-target.

Ireland had a huge chance in the 70th minute. Enda Stevens advanced into space and found Browne in the 18-yard-box, he steadied himself and fired off a shot but Rodák was able to match his effort and palm it away.

Slovakia were still looking dangerous and a few minutes later Shane Duffy produced a goal-saving clearance to deny them a lead. Substitute Lukáš Haraslín was left in space in the area, he composed himself and while his shot went beyond Randolph the captain was on the line to clear away.

In the 85th minute there was another glorious chance for Ireland. David McGoldrick weaved his way through the Slovakian defence. He laid it off to Robinson who fed it to Browne who quickly shifted it to Hourihane, just yards out from goal, but the midfielder’s attempt was cleared off the line. It would be the final chance of the 90 minutes.

Towards the end of the first half of extra time, Browne was involved again this time hitting the post. Callum O’Dowda found space on the left and turned it to Browne whose flicked effort bounced off the foot of the upright

The second half of extra time was uneventful but for Robbie Brady’s free-kick striking the side netting and it ultimately came down to penalties.

Hourihane and Brady were successful from the spot for Ireland but the crucial moment came when Rodák saved from Browne.

Ján Greguš scored to leave it to Doherty to keep Ireland in the contest but the Tottenham Hotspur defender saw his penalty come off the crossbar and Slovakia were through.

Speaking after the game Ireland manager Stephen Kenny said: “They really showed great qualities as men.

"They showed a tremendous team ethic. As the game progressed I felt we were in ascendancy and looked like we really wanted to win it.

“We had good chances but couldn’t get the goal to win it. The players gave everything of themselves. The determination to try and get to the final was evident. It’s a cruel way to lose on penalty kicks. I can’t ask more of the players.

"This group of players gave everything for their country."

Marek Hamšík (Slovakia) scores from the penalty spot.
Conor Hourihane (Republic of Ireland) scores from the penalty spot.
Patrik Hrošovský (Slovakia) scores from the penalty spot.
Robbie Brady (Republic of Ireland) scores from the penalty spot.
Lukáš Haraslín (Slovakia) scores from the penalty spot.
Alan Browne (Republic of Ireland) misses from the penalty spot.
Ján Greguš (Slovakia) scores from the penalty spot.
Matt Doherty (Republic of Ireland) misses from the penalty spot.

Slovakia: Rodák (GK); Pekarík, Vavro (Gyömber, 112), Valjent, Mazáň; Kucka (Greguš, 85), Hrošovský, Hamšík (C); Rusnák (Mak, 85) Duda (Boženík, 107), Mihalík (Haraslín, 73).
Unused substitutes: Kuciak (GK), Greif (GK), Boženík, Schranz, Pauschek, Bero, Koscelník.

Republic of Ireland: Randolph; Doherty, Duffy, Egan, Stevens; Hendrick, McCarthy (Browne, 60), Hourihane; Robinson (O’Dowda, 100), McGoldrick (Long, 112), McClean (Brady, 60).
Unused substitutes: Travers (GK), Kelleher (GK), Williams, Christie, Byrne, Molumby.

Referee: Clément Turpin (FRA)
Powered by tplSoccerStats © 2003 TPL Design