Soccer Scene

Change:  Move to:
26.03.2007 at 18:00 Nordhorn Attendance: 7200
Germany 3 - 0 Rep of Ireland
Referee: L Wouters (Belgium) EC Elite Round / PROG-match

Sascha Bigalke 48 mins (p);
Marvin Knoll 78 mins;
Marvin Knoll 80+1 mins;
Opening squads
Kieron Thorpe
Anthony Bruce
Gareth Matthews
David Joyce
Paul Honohan
Laurence Gaughan
Conor Mc Cormack
Kurtis Byrne
Craig Duggan
Sean Scannell
Ian Daly
Tony Jantschke
Marvin Knoll
Viktor Maier
Richard Sukuta-Pasu
Eric Tappiser
Markus Untch
René Vollath
David Maguire
Danny Kelly
Mark Nolan
James Mc Carthy
Gearoid Morrissey
Shane O'Connor
Michael Collins
Sukuta-Pasu for Dowidat 53 mins; Knoll for Sauerbier 53 mins; Jantschke for Bigalke 79 mins; Shane O'Connor -> Craig Duggan (41)
Mark Nolan -> Anthony Bruce (48)
Michael Collins -> Gareth Matthews (72)
Yellow cards
Marvin Knoll 78 mins; Ian Daly (32)
Kurtis Byrne (51)
Red cards
None None.
Other statistics
0 Shots 0
0 Shots on goal 0
0 Offsides 0
0 Corner kicks 0
0 Free kicks 0
0 Penalties 0
Match report
Germany Clinch UEFA Under 17 Championship Place With Victory Over the Irish

Republic of Ireland 0-3 Germany

Sean McCaffrey’s side were far from deserving of such a heavy loss after a spirited effort against a very impressive German side in Nordhorn.

If the Irish had managed to secure a victory in this tie it would have sealed the country’s first qualification for the UEFA Under-17 finals since 2000.

Germany went into the game with a big advantage on goal difference as they had two 4-1 wins behind them over Greece and Scotland.

Ireland were level on points with the Germans but only the three points could see them through.

McCaffrey’s side had to plan without Hamilton Academical star James McCarthy due to a thigh strain and that was no help to their cause.

Crystal Palace striker Sean Scannell had a lively game for the Irish and kept German keeper Fabien Gieffer on his toes throughout.

Germany should have taken the lead in the 27th minute when Kevin Wolze got his head to a Kai Bastian Evers cross from the right.

Despite a good connection, Wolze hit an upright from eight yards out with Irish keeper Kieran Thorp left helpless.

Scannell almost punished the home side in a flash as he latched on the Irish clearance and raced 40 yards only to be denied by a crucial tackle from Konstantin Rausch.

Gieffer saved bravely at Scannell’s feet seven minutes later after another trademark dash by the speedy Palace youngster.

Germany got the breakthrough in the 48th minute when Sascha Bigalke converted a penalty after winger Dennis Dowidat went down in the box following a Gareth Matthews tackle.

Substitute Marvin Knoll added two late goals after coming on as a late substitute.

Knoll ran onto a ball through by Rausch to fire past Thorp in the 78th minute then finished off good work on the left by Richard Sukuta-Pasu to make it 3-0 in injury-time.

“The best team won the game, Germany were the best team here this week,” admitted Irish coach McCaffrey afterwards.

“I was very pleased with the tremendous effort our lads gave. The 3-0 scoreline was probably a bit lob-sided but we played with great enthusiasm and can be proud of our efforts.”

Germany – Giefer; Evers, Rausch, Teixeira, Pachan, Wolze, Funk, Kroos, Sauerbier, Bigalke, Dowidat. Subs – Sukuta-Pasu for Dowidat 53 mins; Knoll for Sauerbier 53; Jantschke for Bigalke 79.

Rep of Ireland – Thorp (Crystal Palace); Honohan (Wilton Utd), Matthews (Norwich), Joyce (Birmingham), Gaughan (Liverpool), Byrne (Norwich), McCormack (Manchester Utd), Bruce (West Brom), Duggan (Kilreen Celtic), Daly (Manchester City), Scannell (Crystal Palace). Subs – O’Connor (Liverpool) for Duggan 41; Nolan (Celtic) for Bruce 49; Collins (Liverpool) for Matthews 71.

Referee – L Wouters (Belgium).
Powered by tplSoccerStats © 2003 TPL Design